Drukgyal Dzong , with a delightful village nestling at its foot, was built in 1646 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to commemorate his victory over the Tibetan invaders. Historically and strategically this Dzong withstood all its glory and was featured in 1914 vide National Geographic magazine. The glory of Drukgyel Dzong remained even when it was destroyed by fire in 1951.
Drukgyal Dzong was one of the four primary Dra Dzongs (guard post). Records contrast on the organizer of Drukgyal Dzong. Most authors feel that it was Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal who manufactured it to remember his triumph over the Tibetan armed force in 1649. Others trust that it was Tenzin Drugda, the second Desi, (who was Paro Penlop at the time) who assembled it at the command of Zhabdrung Nawang Namgyal. In spite of contrasts of conclusion on the originator of the Dzong, individuals concur on the way that it was worked to recognize the triumph of the Bhutanese over the associated Tibet-Mongol strengths.
Consequently the name Druk Gyal “the stronghold of triumph’ The Dzong was utilized as a mid year home by the Ringpung Rabdey. In 1951, in the tenth month of Bhutanese logbook, on the most recent day of the three-day yearly petitions, the Dzong was scorched. It is said to have been caused by the fire when a spread light fell in the focal tower. Just the vestiges of monster dividers, scorched colossal wooden posts, pillars and watch towers can be seen of what was before a critical fortification that repulsed a few intrusions from the north.