Guru Rimpoche (Padmasambava) first came to this place to help cure the local king who was being made seriously ill through the malevolent actions of the local deity. Guru Rimpoche meditated in one of the caves and left his body imprint inside (thus the name Kurjey).
Kurjey Lhakhang consists of three temples. The one on the right was built in 1652 on the rack face where Guru meditated in the 8th century. Second temple is built on the site of a cave containing a rock with the imprint of Guru’s body and is therefore considered the most holy. The third temple was built in 1990s by Ashi Kesang, the Queen Mother. These three temples are surrounded by a 108 chorten wall. Its 8 hours journey from Thimphu.