7 Best Places to Visit in Paro
7 best Places to visit in Paro are Drukgyal Dzong,Kyichu Lhakhang,Ta Dzong,Tiger`s Nest,Rinpung Dzong, Sang Chokhor Buddhist College & Tachog Lhakhang.
Paro is a valley town in Bhutan, west of the capital, Thimphu. It is the site of the country’s only international airport and is also known for the many sacred sites in the area. North of town, the Taktsang Palphug (Tiger’s Nest) monastery clings to cliffs above the forested Paro Valley. Northwest of here are the remains of a defensive fortress, Drukgyal Dzong, dating from the 17th century.
Paro Dzong is also known as Ringpung Dzong which means “heap of jewels- fort” which is located in Paro district in Western Bhutan. It was built in 1644 by founder of Bhutan who is known as Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel. In 1646 it was re-consecrated and converted as administrative as well as monastic body. This day this fortress functions as district monastery body & government administrative.
In 1905, it was caught by fire & rebuilt to original structure with additional statue of Guru Ringpoche, Buddha & Zhabdrun Ngawang Namgyel in the year 1908/1909. Film known as “Little Buddha” was aslo filmed in this fortress in the year 1993.
>> Read More
Ta Dzong (National Museum) is located at Paro in Western Bhutan on the hill top of Paro Dzong. It’s around 4 KM drive from Paro town. Ta Dzong means “Watchtower”. It was built in 1649 by Tenzin Drugdra. It is 7 stories round structure building & it is in conch shell shape with 2.5 meters thick wall.
Till 1967 it was serve is watchtower and from 1968 is was converted to National Museum of Bhutan under the royal command of His Majesty, the 3rd King of Bhutan Jigme Dorji Wangchuck.
In 2011, National Museum was damaged by earthquake and until than it was close and sample of the exhibits are shifted to another new temporary building. In July, 2014 renovation work was started under the supervision by structural engineer of Conservation of Heritage Sites Division.
>> Read More
Kyichu Lhakhang, It is one of the oldest and most sacred shrines of the Kingdom dating back to 7th century (the other is Jambey Lhakahng in Bumthang). The lhakhang complex is composed of two temples. The first temple was built by Tibetan King, Songtsen Gampo in the 7th century and in 1968, H.M. Ashi Kesang, the Queen Mother of Bhutan, built the second temple in original pattern.
>> Read More
Drukgyal Dzong, with a delightful village nestling at its foot, was built in 1646 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to commemorate his victory over the Tibetan invaders. Historically and strategically this Dzong withstood all its glory and was featured in 1914 vied National Geographic magazine. The glory of Drukgyel Dzong remained even when it was destroyed by fire in 1951.
>> Read More
Tachog Lhakhang Dzong is located on the way to Thimphu from Paro valley, and one must actually cross one of DrupthoTaChog Templeb Thangtong Gyalpo bridges to get to the Dzong. Drupthob Thangtong Gyalpo was the man who built the iron chain bridges in Bhutan in the late 1300s, and is said to have built 108 of these bridges around Tibet and Bhutan.
Situated at an altitude of approximately 3,989 meters, Chele La pass is one of the favorite tourist areas in Bhutan. On a pleasant and crystal clear day, you can see the Jomolhari mountain from here and also the adjoining peaks in the northwest side and also can see the valleys of Haa and Paro also.
This pass is situated in the 13,000 feet over from the west by the Paro valley, it’s the maximum road pass of Bhutan and is surrounded by beautiful views of the Himalayan selection, along with the Mount Jomolhari, that will be this nation’s most holy mountain and it is over 22,000 ft. To accomplish this place you need to choose a half hour drive in the valley floor of Paro.